Monday, May 28, 2012

Sometimes I ride my bike

When bicycling down Pacific Avenue near the tidelands in Fife, it is a very good idea to look out for syringes lying in the gutter. I cannot think of a more infuriating way to get a flat tire.

I've been bicycling to work every once in a while over the past few weeks. Mostly for the exercise--I am not currently in the best shape of my life. It's a pretty quick ride there, but riding home is another story. Pedaling up and over Hilltop is not exactly easy. But it makes my post-work shower all the more rewarding.

Hilltop feels surprisingly bicycle friendly. Maybe that's just because I ride on the roads less traveled, but passing through the no-man's-land that is the section of Pacific Highway between the Greyhound station in Tacoma and Larson Nissan of Fife, I have to remain extremely alert and vigilant due to, well, all sorts of things, really: semi-truck traffic, road debris, crazy people...

I'm pretty sure that most of the people that hang out on bus stop benches on this section of highway have absolutely no intention of going anywhere at all--and probably very little awareness of the buses that pass by.

On Saturday morning, I rode past a man lying face down on a bus stop bench who turned his head toward me as I pedaled past and yelled, "I eat your skin."

I didn't slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment