Thursday, April 8, 2010

Afraid to fly

I've been seeing Rod Brown, my old hang gliding instructor everywhere. Well, I haven't actually seen him anywhere, but I keep thinking I see him - especially while I'm at work. He's even found his way into my dreams; I've had a lot of odd dreams about hang gliding lately, and about odd people I met throughout my training. I did meet a lot of very strange characters along the way. Who would have thought, right?

Yesterday Brittany and I drove down to Portland to visit her Great Aunt Allison. We had a great time and ate a lot of really delicious food at a restaurant called Veritable Quandary, which is probably the best restaurant name I've ever heard of, and at one point in our conversation, she mentioned the fact that current research indicates that people don't fully develop the capacity to understand the consequences of their actions until around age 24. Interesting, right? Maybe that has something to do with why I suddenly became terrified of the sport. I think I have some unresolved feelings, though.

I've been looking through old hang gliding pictures lately, and I've though a lot about how I used to take a lot more risks. And I'm not just talking about hang gliding specifically, I mean in life in general. I feel ready to try something new; I'm getting bored.


No comments:

Post a Comment