Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A couple things

Happy New Year everybody!

I've been thinking about a lot of things today. And yeah, I know, everyone's a little more thoughtful and introspective than they usually are on New Years Day. That's not what I'm getting at, though--I woke up this morning without a hangover (weird) and was able to quickly get past all those pesky, optimistic thoughts of self-improvement. :)

I have no resolutions this year.

That isn't to say I have no goals for this year--quite the opposite is true. I think 2013 is going to be the greatest year of my life. Really.

I woke up this morning with a strange feeling of calmness. It was off putting, and for a few minutes I just stayed very still in my bed and stared up at the ceiling thinking about why that might be. Then I tried thinking about all those irrelevant, nagging issues that so frequently seem to find their way into the forefront of my consciousness. I even started thinking about philosophical issues, all those inane epistemological issues I devoted so much time and energy to studying in college--the ones that still drive me crazy no matter how hard I try to convince myself that they are pointless to think about--and I still wasn't even the slightest bit angry.

I even tried thinking about the ongoing philosophical debate over the distinction between stuff and things--this issue always makes me angry; it's so stupid, and yet so complicated.

After that failed to raise my blood pressure, I was pretty sure I had died in my sleep. I checked my pulse, then went into the bathroom to see if I still had a reflection.

So anyway, I guess 2013 is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment